Sunday, December 17, 2017

Travel Overload

Got to the airport Saturday morning at 5:20. I passed a sniffer dog checking on everyone in the security line, and right after I passed him, he got a playbreak! Squeaky-ball fetch time meant a delay and some entertainment for patient travelers behind me in line.

The 3 hour flight to Dallas Texas would have been significantly less awful if I hadn't been sitting directly behind a screaming child, upwards of 130 decibels. This lasted the first 2 hours straight. So much for reading or napping - I took advantage of the in-flight entertainment and watched (but barely heard) The Dark Tower. (It's bad).

One and a half hours in Texas and two and a half shots of Whiskey later and we were on our way to South Korea. I made the decision to change my watch to Thailand time and try to keep to that schedule moving forward in an effort to prevent jet-lag. 

15 hours seems like a long time on a plane, so let's just put things into perspective. I watched 4 movies (Logan Lucky, Birth of the Dragon, The Big Sick, and most of Transformers: Last Knight) and if I hadn't spent the other 8 hours eating, pacing down the aisle, trying to read, or staring blankly at the digital map; I could have easily seen 5 more. I was very lucky to have an exit row, aisle seat for this long flight, making up for the screaming child on the previous one. (I think I'd prefer an airline that allowed passengers to assist in flight-attendant duties for a portion of the flight.)
After taking off my shoes and replacing them with the complimentary plane slippers, I was able to stretch my feet out as far as I could - a rarity for someone my height. We had 2 meals on that flight, I got bibimbap which was surprisingly good for plane food, and Chinese style rice with fish, which was fine.

In the Korean airport, Michael and I took some of the few minutes we had before transferring planes to explore some of the stores in the international section of the airport - turned out to be pretty lame, common international stores including an Auntie Annie's. Noticing from my watch that it was mid-afternoon in Thailand, I proudly proclaimed to Michael how, since we'd arrive late at night, I would not sleep on this last plane ride.

Cut Scene -Avi's passed out on the plane before it's left the gate. After a casual 20 minute nap, I awake to find that we're still at the gate. Drowsily listening to the delay announcements, I pass out for another 20+ minutes to find we still haven't left.

Something was wrong with the engine, but after 2 hours just sitting in our seats; we eventually take off. A relatively short flight (6 hours) later. We arrived in Bangkok, Thailand. Figuring out customs, getting passports stamped, getting a cab, exchanging currency, and making sure Michael's phone service worked were some of the highlights from our first few hours. 

It's 4:00AM now, so I haven't succeeded in preventing Jet-lag. Sleeping soon, getting psyched for a fun day exploring Bangkok tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment